Puly Caff Liquid Descaler for Espresso or Coffee Machines
Descaling is necessary if the espresso machine had accumulated a lot of minerals from the water.
Severe amount of mineral build-ups can cause sensors unable to work effectively creating various forms of issues. It can be hazardous.
We do not recommend using mineral or Alkaline water for coffee machines. To find out more about why you should use softened water and why you need to descale, click here.
This product is for any coffee machines, particularly for espresso machines with boilers.
Descaling can be a challenging process. For the best effect with the least damage, it should be done by a qualified technician.
Puly Caff Liquid Descaler for Espresso or Coffee Machines is in liquid form, is food grade and in individual bottles for easier storage.
The liquid version can be used in room temperature water and studied to have the maximum performances and safe on yellow metals boilers (copper, brass) and INOX.
It can work for any type of espresso machines or boilers that need descaling
If the water source is soft and the machine wasn’t for commercial heavy duty usage, descaling is not necessary until 2-3 years later or from the last descale, else it’s recommended to be done yearly.
Using a water softener or using distilled water as a preventive measure is more recommended than frequent descaling. Even so, it’s still recommended to do descaling regularly.
Users can use this product for regular preventive descaling to clear light layers of build up before it accumulates.
If the water is hard, it’s necessary to connect to a water softener before water intake else it will require much sooner descaling.
The instructions below are for clearing light layers of build-ups and can be taken as a preventive descaling from massive build ups.
If your machine wasn’t purchased from Fine Coffee Company, please refer to your vendor for instructions.
For users who want to do light and preventive descaling, it’s possible that the user can do it themselves.
For severe cases, please contact a qualified serviceman.
Do note that the instructions below are not sufficient to clean serious amount of scales.
Please refer to a qualified technician if you suspect that your machine has a huge amount of mineral build ups.
The below instructions serve for machines sold by Fine Coffee Company and are not applicable to every brand in the market.
Please refer to your machine’s user instructions for more information.
How much to purchase?
The product comes with two bottles of 125ml of Liquid Descaler.
For every 125ml of descaler, mix with 400ml of water.
Thus, two bottles will create a mixture of 1050ml of the descaling agent.
You will need to purchase the amount according to the size of your boiler + 500ml extra for the grouphead.
A Bezzera Magica/Mitica, or Strega.
It has a 2 litres boiler with a single grouphead
You will need five bottles of descalers.
A Bezzera BZ13/BZ10
It has a 1.5 Litres boiler with a single grouphead
You will need four bottles of descalers
Single Boiler and Heat Exchangers
IMPORTANT FOR VIBRATION PUMPS: KEEP THE INTERVALS OF IT WORKING AT 30 SECONDS. LET IT RUN FOR 30 SECONDS AND REST FOR 30 SECONDS.
Draining the boiler.
1. Heat up machine regularly till it’s ready and pressurised.
2. Switch off the machine and immediately drain the boiler by releasing water from the water wand. If there’s no water wand, release from the grouphead followed by the steam wand.
Filling boiler with descaling agent
3a. If the machine has a water tank.
i) Replace the water in the tank with an appropriate amount of descaling agent.
3b. If the machine doesn’t have a water tank and can only draw water from a water network.
i) Get ready a water container that can store the amount of descaling agent.
ii) Disconnect water hose from the water network and place hose into the water container containing the descaling agent.
4. Switch on the machine. The machine should draw the descaling agent into the boiler.
5. Flush about 10 seconds of water out from the grouphead, steam wand and water wand.
6. For preventive descaling, we will suggest not leaving the agent in the espresso machine for more than 30 minutes.
Rinsing with clean water
6. Repeat step 2 to drain the boiler
7. Replace water tank with a tank of clean water or reconnect back to the water network. Make sure the water tank was cleaned first.
8. Switch on the machine to draw clean water into the boiler
9. Flush about 10 seconds out from the grouphead, steam wand and water wand. Allow the machine to rest for 2 minutes.
10. You can repeat rinsing via step 8 to 11 for one to two more times if necessary.
It is not possible to fully drain out the descaler from the boiler.
For a short moment of time after descaling, the water may seem to have more bubbles or have a light odour
It is food grade and will diminish after a period of usage.
It is important to remember that vibration pumps should not work for 2 minutes without 1 minute of rest. Rotary pumps should never run without water passing.
We will suggest requesting for professional help due to complications.
1. NEVER allow your pump to activate for more than 120 seconds and work for too long with rest time, it will damage the pump.
2. DO NOT perform descaling and grouphead flushing with detergent back to back or together.
3. Flakes of scales and impurities may cause technical issues after descaling. Fine Coffee Company will not guarantee and does not warrant user’s machines from malfunctioning after descaling.
Puly Caff is a subsidiary unit from Asachimici group who had been formulating cleaners for the food industry since 1890.
The brand Puly Caff was specially established for the coffee sector and their products are of the highest premium standard formulated by chemists with baristas.
It is the most preferred brand used by professionals and households in Italy and for most demanding.
Highly recommended by established manufacturers of espresso machines, particularly Bezzera, the mechanist family who invented the first espresso machines.
All Puly Caff products are made in Italy.